Follow up – Burning shack in Graskop

Kopano Dibakwane

GPS News published a sad story in our previous edition about a family that lost all their belongings to a fire. The incident happened on the 15th December 2017.

Ward Councillor, Sandile Shongwe, said on the day of the incident that the Thaba Chweu Disaster Management Team will provide basic necessities like clothing, mattresses, two-plate stoves, a tent, and groceries.

Shongwe sat with GPS News to reveal an update on the matter, particularly with regard to the provision of a new house.

“I referred the family to Graskop Housing Officer – Tebatso Letsoalo. Their matter is with the Lydenburg office. Local businesses played a big role in assisting the family. Spar Graskop donated an R1200 shopping voucher, Patience Nyakane – Maluka from Bushbuckridge donated clothing for the children and an extra R2000 for Christmas clothes and school uniform. The mother (Betty Monareng) is very grateful for the support of groceries and clothes, but she emphasised that she needed a house. The family is currently staying with Betty’s brother. We’ll keep on trying our best to ensure that they get the necessary assistance,” said Shongwe.

Patricia Monareng (Betty’s daughter) said that her family is waiting to hear a response from the Human Settlement Department. She said that the department has reached out to the family through the Graskop Unit.

“We received a call that the Department of Human Settlement wanted my mother’s details. We have been waiting since December and we hope that something good will happen at the end. For now, we’ll wait and see,” Patricia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *